What’s in these terms?
These terms tell you the rules for using our website at www.geekymedics.com and www.geekyquiz.com (our site).
Who we are and how to contact us
www.geekymedics.com and www.geekyquiz.com are sites operated by Geeky Medics Limited, a company incorporated and registered in England and Wales with company number 09523980 whose registered office is at Lytchett House, 13 Freeland Park, Wareham Road, Poole, Dorset, BH16 6FA.
To contact us, please email [email protected], write to us at the above address, or use our contact page at www.geekymedics.com/contact-us
If you do not agree to these terms, you must not use our site.
We recommend that you print a copy of these terms for future reference.
There are other terms that may apply to you
- Our Acceptable Use Policy below which sets out the permitted uses and prohibited uses of our site. When using our site, you must comply with this Acceptable Use Policy.
We may make changes to our site
We may update and change our site from time to time to reflect our users’ needs and our business priorities.
We may suspend or withdraw our site
Our site is made available free of charge.
We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. We may suspend or withdraw or restrict the availability of all or any part of our site for business and operational reasons. We will try to give you reasonable notice of any suspension or withdrawal.
Our site is directed to people residing in the United Kingdom. We do not represent that content available on or through our site is appropriate for use or available in other locations.
You must keep your account details safe
If you choose, or you are provided with, a user identification code, password or any other piece of information as part of our security procedures, you must treat such information as confidential. You must not disclose it to any third party.
If you know or suspect that anyone other than you knows your user identification code or password, you must promptly notify us at [email protected]
How you may use material on our site
We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our site, and in the material published on it. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
You may print off one copy, and may download extracts, of any page(s) from our site for your personal use and you may draw the attention of others within your organisation to content posted on our site.
You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text.
Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of content on our site must always be acknowledged.
You must not use any part of the content on our site for commercial purposes without obtaining a licence to do so from us or our licensors.
Do not rely on information on this site
The content on our site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our site.
Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up to date.
Geeky Medics is a website designed by medics for medics. Geeky Medics is not intended as a replacement for your clinician, or a diagnostic tool for patients, and should not be used as such. The Content on Our Site does not constitute advice on which you should rely. It is provided for general information purposes only. Professional or specialist advice should always be sought before taking any action relating to diagnostics, management and medical procedures. Therefore, by using this site, you agree:
- all users are advised to refer to drug manufacturers literature or the British National Formulary before administering any of the drugs mentioned on this website;
- Geeky Medics is not liable to you or any third party for any claim, loss or damages arising out of your use of the site or its materials;
- your reliance upon Geeky Medics materials is solely at your own risk; and
- whilst we make reasonable efforts to ensure that the Content on Our Site is complete, accurate, and up-to-date, we do not, however, make any representations, warranties or guarantees (whether express or implied) that the Content is complete, accurate, or up-to-date.
As a professional user, you are responsible for taking all precautions you believe are necessary or advisable to protect you from any claim, damage or loss that may arise from your use of Geekymedics.com.
We are not responsible for the content or accuracy, or for any views expressed in any Posts submitted by Users. Any such views or content represent the views and values of the relevant User, and do not reflect Our views and values in any way.
We make no representation, warranty, or guarantee that Our Site will meet your requirements, that it will not infringe the rights of third parties, that it will be compatible with all software and hardware, or that it will be secure. If, as a result of Our failure to exercise reasonable care and skill, any digital content from Our Site damages your device or other digital content belonging to you and you are a consumer, you may be entitled to certain legal remedies.
Whilst We exercise all reasonable skill and care to ensure that Our Site is secure and free of errors, viruses and other malware, you are strongly advised to take responsibility for your own internet security, that of your personal details and your computers.
We are not responsible for websites we link to
Where our site contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. Such links should not be interpreted as approval by us of those linked websites or information you may obtain from them.
We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources.
User-generated content is not approved by us
This website may include information and materials uploaded by other users of the site, including to discussion boards and chat rooms. This information and these materials have not been verified or approved by us. The views expressed by other users on our site do not represent our views or values.
If you wish to complain about information and materials uploaded by other users please contact us at [email protected]
Our responsibility for loss or damage suffered by you
Whether you are a consumer or a business user we do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors and for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
If you are a business user:
- We exclude all implied conditions, warranties, representations or other terms that may apply to our site or any content on it.
- We will not be liable to you for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- use of, or inability to use, our site; or
- use of or reliance on any content displayed on our site.
- In particular, we will not be liable for:
- loss of profits, sales, business, or revenue;
- business interruption;
- loss of anticipated savings;
- loss of business opportunity, goodwill or reputation; or
- any indirect or consequential loss or damage.
If you are a consumer user:
- Please note that we only provide our site for domestic and private use. You agree not to use our site for any commercial or business purposes, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
Uploading content to our site
Whenever you make use of a feature that allows you to upload content to our site, or to make contact with other users of our site, you must comply with the content standards set out in our Acceptable Use Policy below.
You warrant that any such contribution does comply with those standards, and you will be liable to us and indemnify us for any breach of that warranty. This means you will be responsible for any loss or damage we suffer as a result of your breach of warranty.
Any content you upload to our site will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. The rights you license to us are described in Rights you are giving us to use material you upload below.
We also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted or uploaded by you to our site constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
We have the right to remove any posting you make on our site if, in our opinion, your post does not comply with the content standards set out in our Acceptable Use Policy below.
You are solely responsible for securing and backing up your content.
Rights you are giving us to use material you upload
When you upload or post content to our site (via our article submission process), unless we have agreed otherwise in writing, you grant us an exclusive, royalty-free license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivate works (including collections) of and display that content in connection with the service provided by our site and across all different forms of media. You also agree that we may use that content to promote our site and the services we provide and that we may place advertisements alongside the content.
We are not responsible for viruses and you must not introduce them
We do not guarantee that our site will be secure or free from bugs or viruses.
You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform to access our site. You should use your own virus protection software.
You must not misuse our site by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material that is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to our site, the server on which our site is stored or any server, computer or database connected to our site. You must not attack our site via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack. By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use our site will cease immediately.
Rules about linking to our site
You may link to our home page and content, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it.
You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
If you wish to link to or make any use of content on our site other than that set out above, please contact [email protected]
‘Geeky Medics’ is a registered trademark of Geeky Medics Limited (9523980). You are not permitted to use any of our trademarks, whether they are registered or not, without our approval, unless they are part of material you are using as permitted under the heading “How you may use material on our site” above.
All logos and images used in the navigation of the website, including the Geeky Medics logo and diagrams embedded within articles are copyrighted works, and should not be reproduced in any way without prior written consent.
Acceptable Use Policy
This acceptable use policy sets out the content standards that apply when you upload content to our site, make contact with other users on our site, link to our site, or interact with our site in any other way.
You may use our site only for lawful purposes. You may not use our site:
- In any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation.
- In any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect.
- For the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way.
- To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material which does not comply with our content standards set out below
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam).
- To knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
You also agree:
- Not to reproduce, duplicate, copy or re-sell any part of our site in contravention of the provisions of our terms of website use above:
- Not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt:
- any part of our site;
- any equipment or network on which our site is stored;
- any software used in the provision of our site; or
- any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
We may from time to time provide interactive services on our site, including, without limitation:
- Chat rooms.
- Discussion boards.
Where we do provide any interactive service, we will provide clear information to you about the kind of service offered, if it is moderated and what form of moderation is used (including whether it is human or technical).
We will do our best to assess any possible risks for users (and in particular, for children) from third parties when they use any interactive service provided on our site, and we will decide in each case whether it is appropriate to use moderation of the relevant service (including what kind of moderation to use) in the light of those risks. However, we are under no obligation to oversee, monitor or moderate any interactive service we provide on our site, and we expressly exclude our liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of any interactive service by a user in contravention of our content standards, whether the service is moderated or not.
The use of any of our interactive services by a minor is subject to the consent of their parent or guardian. We advise parents who permit their children to use an interactive service that it is important that they communicate with their children about their safety online, as moderation is not fool proof. Minors who are using any interactive service should be made aware of the potential risks to them.
Where we do moderate an interactive service, we will normally provide you with a means of contacting the moderator, should a concern or difficulty arise.
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (Contribution), and to any interactive services associated with it.
The Content Standards must be complied with in spirit as well as to the letter. The standards apply to each part of any Contribution as well as to its whole.
Geeky Medics Limited will determine, in its discretion, whether a Contribution breaches the Content Standards.
A Contribution must:
- Be accurate (where it states facts).
- Be genuinely held (where it states opinions).
- Comply with the law applicable in England and Wales and in any country from which it is posted.
A Contribution must not:
- Be defamatory of any person.
- Be obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory.
- Promote sexually explicit material.
- Promote violence.
- Promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- Infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person.
- Be likely to deceive any person.
- Breach any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence.
- Promote any illegal activity.
- Be in contempt of court.
- Be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety.
- Be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person.
- Impersonate any person, or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person.
- Give the impression that the Contribution emanates from Geeky Medics Limited, if this is not the case.
- Advocate, promote, incite any party to commit, or assist any unlawful or criminal act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
- Contain a statement which you know or believe, or have reasonable grounds for believing, that members of the public to whom the statement is, or is to be, published are likely to understand as a direct or indirect encouragement or other inducement to the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism.
- Contain any advertising or promote any services or web links to other sites.
Breach of this policy
When we consider that a breach of this acceptable use policy has occurred, we may take such action as we deem appropriate.
- Immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use our site.
- Immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any Contribution uploaded by you to our site.
- Issue of a warning to you.
- Legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of all costs on an indemnity basis (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal costs) resulting from the breach.
- Further legal action against you.
- Disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as we reasonably feel is necessary or as required by law.
We exclude our liability for all action we may take in response to breaches of this acceptable use policy. The actions we may take are not limited to those described above, and we may take any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.
We may make changes to these terms
We amend these terms from time to time. Every time you wish to use our site, please check these terms to ensure you understand the terms that apply at that time.
Which Country’s laws apply to any disputes?
The terms of our website user and acceptable use policy, their subject matter and formation are governed by English law. You and we both agree that the courts of England and Wales will have exclusive jurisdiction.
Privacy and Cookies Policy
Geeky Medics Limited understands that your privacy is important to you and that you care about how your personal data is used and shared online. We respect and value the privacy of everyone who visits our websites www.geekymedics.com and https://geekyquiz.com (“Our Site”) and will only collect and use personal data in ways that are described here, and in a manner that is consistent with Our obligations and your rights under the law.
1. Definitions and Interpretation
In this Policy the following terms shall have the following meanings:
“Account” means an account required to access and/or use certain areas and features of Our Site;
“Cookie” means a small text file placed on your computer or device by Our Site when you visit certain parts of Our Site and/or when you use certain features of Our Site. Details of the Cookies used by Our Site are set out in section 13, below;
“Cookie Law” means the relevant parts of the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003;
“Personal data” means any and all data that relates to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified from that data. In this case, it means personal data that you give to Us via Our Site. This definition shall, where applicable, incorporate the definitions provided in the Data Protection Act 1998 and/or EU Regulation 2016/679 – the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”); and
“We/Us/Our” means Geeky Medics Limited, a company incorporated and registered in England and Wales with company number 09523980 whose registered office is at Lytchett House, 13 Freeland Park, Wareham Road, Poole, Dorset, BH16 6FA.
2. Information About Us
2.1 Our Site is owned and operated by Geeky Medics Limited of Lytchett House, 13 Freeland Park, Wareham Road, Poole, Dorset, BH16 6FA.
2.2 You contact us by writing to us at the address above, or by emailing us at [email protected],
2.3 Our Data Protection Officer is Dr Lewis Potter.
3. What Does This Policy Cover?
This Policy applies only to your use of Our Site. Our Site may contain links to other websites. Please note that We have no control over how your data is collected, stored, or used by other websites and We advise you to check the privacy policies of any such websites before providing any data to them.
4. Your Rights
4.1 As a data subject, you have the following rights under the GDPR, which this Policy and Our use of personal data have been designed to uphold:
4.1.1 The right to be informed about Our collection and use of personal data;
4.1.2 The right of access to the personal data We hold about you (see section 12);
4.1.3 The right to rectification if any personal data We hold about you is inaccurate or incomplete (please contact Us using the details in section 14);
4.1.4 The right to be forgotten – i.e. the right to ask Us to delete any personal data We hold about you (We only hold your personal data for a limited time, as explained in section 6 but if you would like Us to delete it sooner, please contact Us using the details in section 14);
4.1.5 The right to restrict (i.e. prevent) the processing of your personal data;
4.1.6 The right to data portability (obtaining a copy of your personal data to re-use with another service or organisation);
4.1.7 The right to object to Us using your personal data for particular purposes; and
4.1.8 Rights with respect to automated decision making and profiling.
4.2 If you have any cause for complaint about Our use of your personal data, please contact Us using the details provided in section 202 and We will do Our best to solve the problem for you. If We are unable to help, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the UK’s supervisory authority, the Information Commissioner’s Office.
4.3 For further information about your rights, please contact the Information Commissioner’s Office or your local Citizens Advice Bureau.
5. What Data Do We Collect?
5.3 Email address;
5.4 County of residence;
5.5 Educational background;
5.6 Educational performance;
5.7 IP address;
5.8 web browser type and version;
5.9 operating system.
6. How Do We Use Your Data?
6.1 All personal data is processed and stored securely, for no longer than is necessary in light of the reason(s) for which it was first collected. We will comply with Our obligations and safeguard your rights under the Data Protection Act 1998 or GDPR at all times. For more details on security see section 7, below.
6.2 Our use of your personal data will always have a lawful basis, either because it is necessary for Our performance of a contract with you, because you have consented to Our use of your personal data (e.g. by subscribing to emails), or because it is in Our legitimate interests. Specifically, We may use your data for the following purposes:
6.2.1 Providing and managing your Account;
6.2.2 Providing and managing your access to Our Site;
6.2.3 Personalising and tailoring your experience on Our Site;
6.2.4 Supplying Our products and/or services to you (please note that We require your personal data in order to enter into a contract with you);
6.2.5 Personalising and tailoring Our products and/or services for you;
6.2.6 Replying to emails from you;
6.2.7 Supplying you with emails that you have opted into (you may unsubscribe or opt-out at any time clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of our emails
6.2.8 Market research.
6.3 With your permission and/or where permitted by law, We may also use your data for marketing purposes which may include contacting you by email and/or telephone or text message or by post with information, news and offers on Our products and/or our services. We will not, however, send you any unsolicited marketing or spam and will take all reasonable steps to ensure that We fully protect your rights and comply with Our obligations under the Data Protection Act 1998 or GDPR and the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.
6.4 You have the right to withdraw your consent to Us using your personal data at any time, and to request that We delete it.
6.5 We do not keep your personal data for any longer than is necessary in light of the reason(s) for which it was first collected. Data will therefore be retained for the following periods (or its retention will be determined on the following bases):
6.5.1 Data that could be used to personally identify you will be kept for as long as you have an active account registered with us to enable us to continue to provide you with our services.
7. How and Where Do We Store Your Data?
7.1 We only keep your personal data for as long as We need to in order to use it as described above in section 6, and/or for as long as We have your permission to keep it.
7.2 Some or all of your data may be stored outside of the European Economic Area (“the EEA”) (The EEA consists of all EU member states, plus Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein). If We do store data outside the EEA (this may be the case, for example, if Our email server is located in a country outside the EEA), We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your data is treated as safely and securely as it would be within the UK and under the Data Protection Act 1998 and/or GDPR.
7.3 Data security is very important to Us, and to protect your data We have taken suitable measures to safeguard and secure data collected through Our Site.
7.4 Steps We take to secure and protect your data include:
7.4.1 We store your data on a secure server managed by a GDPR compliant vendor.
7.4.2 Any data transferred to and from the server is encrypted during transfer.
7.4.3 Passwords are secured using the latest security algorithms and are not stored in plain text.
8. Do We Share Your Data?
8.1 We may share anonymised aggregated data sets with third parties for research and marketing purposes.
8.3 In certain circumstances, We may be legally required to share certain data held by Us, which may include your personal data, for example, where We are involved in legal proceedings, where We are complying with legal obligations, a court order, or a governmental authority.
9. What Happens If Our Business Changes Hands?
9.2 In the event that any of your data is to be transferred in such a manner, you will not be contacted in advance and informed of the changes.
10. How Can You Control Your Data?
10.1 In addition to your rights under the GDPR, set out in section 4, when you submit personal data via Our Site, you may be given options to restrict Our use of your data. In particular, We aim to give you strong controls on Our use of your data for direct marketing purposes (including the ability to opt-out of receiving emails from Us which you may do by unsubscribing using the links provided in Our emails.
10.2 You may also wish to sign up to one or more of the preference services operating in the UK: The Telephone Preference Service (“the TPS”), the Corporate Telephone Preference Service (“the CTPS”), and the Mailing Preference Service (“the MPS”). These may help to prevent you receiving unsolicited marketing. Please note, however, that these services will not prevent you from receiving marketing communications that you have consented to receiving.
11. Your Right to Withhold Information
11.1 You may access certain areas of Our Site without providing any data at all. However, to use all features and functions available on Our Site you may be required to submit or allow for the collection of certain data.
12. How Can You Access Your Data?
You have the right to ask for a copy of any of your personal data held by Us (where such data is held). We will provide any and all information in response to your request free of charge. Please contact Us for more details at [email protected]
13.2 A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive.
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
13.4 You block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
13.5 Except for essential cookies, all cookies will expire after 2 years.
13.6 You can see which cookies are in use on our site and adjust your preferences here.
Changes To Our Policies